Professional interior design isn’t just about having a vision. You also need the skills and equipment to bring your ideas to life, and one piece of equipment that’s vital to the planning stage of your designs is your laptop. Creating design concepts is complicated work, and your laptop needs to be able to multitask without lagging and run all the right software. So here are the ten best laptops for interior design. We’ve reviewed the best laptops for interior design in 2020 for you.
Interior Design Laptop Requirements Made Simple
Laptops for interior design need to meet quite a few different specs and requirements compared to laptops for general use. This is especially true if you’re an interior design student. Here’s what you need to look for in a laptop if you plan on using it to create design concepts.
A Good Processor
The Processor of your laptop is going to determine how fast your computer is, and how well it can handle multitasking. On both Windows and Apple laptops, you want to look for a multi-core processor. Core i5 processors will be multi-core, but they won’t be as fast as the latest i7 core processors. If you want to make sure your laptop can handle any designing work you throw at it, an i7 Extreme processor is your best bet.
Design concepts can take up a lot of storage space, so you’re going to want a laptop with at least 8GM RAM, and at least 10GB on the hard disc drive.
Latest Operating System
Older laptops won’t be able to run on the latest Windows or Apple operating systems. If you’re not running on the latest versions, you might find your laptop slows right down, and you might not even be able to download specific design software.
High Screen Resolution
Interior designing is all about detail, so you need a laptop with a full HD screen display. This way, you’ll be able to pay attention to detail and see designs and edits.
10 Best Laptops For Interior Design – 2020
This is in no particular order, and if you click any of the links, it will take you to a new tab so that you won’t lose your place. You might also be interested in our other lists about laptops for animation or laptops for drawing because there are some overlaps in the features you’ll need. Interior designers tend to have similar laptop requirements to designers and animators in our experience.
This is a 2-in1 tablet laptop that makes working on the go more accessible than ever. It’s super lightweight, and at only 8.9mm thick (or should I say thin), you can easily slip into a bag.
It also comes with the ThinkPad Pen Pro, so you can treat your laptop/tablet as a graphics tablet and sketch out your designs. It also has a full HD display so you can see and work on crisp and bright designs.
You can get up to 16GB of RAM, and up to 1TB of hard drive disc space, so you’ll always have enough space for your designs.
- Integrated graphics unit (Intel UHD Graphics 620)
- Doubles as a graphics tablet
- Includes graphics pen (ThinkPad Pen Pro)
- Good i7 Processor
- Full HD display
- It’s lightweight and portable, which makes work on the go easier
- 1 Year warranty
- The Intel UHD Graphics 620 lacks dedicated graphics memory, so the 620 has to access the main memory
This is a popular laptop for those that want great graphics and a fast processor. The Predator includes a top-quality graphics card, with 6 GB of dedicated graphics memory, so you don’t have to rely on the main memory. The laptop also has 16GB of RAM and 512 GB SSD.
- Comes with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB graphics card (one of the best)
- Good i7 Processor
- Full HD display
- 15.6-inch screen
- It’s a bulky and heavy design
While this is technically a tablet, the new iPad Pro is as fast as most Apple laptops, and more powerful than most PC laptops. And when paired with the type-folio cover, it can be used just like a laptop. The A10X Fusion chip with 64-bit architecture and the M10 Processor are what make the iPad Pro so fast.
The iPad can also be used with the Apple Pencil so that you can use it as a graphics tablet to sketch and create designs. You can opt for either a 10.5 inch or a 12.9 inch iPad, but both come with an incredible display resolution of up to 2732 x 2048 with 264 pixels per inch.
- Super lightweight and portable
- Can be used as a 2-in1 – a laptop and a tablet
- Can be paired with the Apple Pencil
- Very fast
- An inexpensive alternative to an Apple laptop
- High-quality display resolution
- It’s technically a tablet
- Apps and software will need to be iPad compatible (which won’t always be the full version)
At 17 inches wide, this ThinkPad P71 is more of a workstation laptop than a portable device. But with such a big laptop comes a great deal of potential.
The Xeon E3-1535M processor is even faster than Core i7 processors, with over 10% faster clock and turbo clock speeds, and more support for trusted, safer computing.
Then there’s the included NVIDIA Quadro P5000 Discrete Graphics card, which has 16GB of VRAM. The laptop itself also has 64GB of error-correcting SDRAM and 4TB of solid-state drive space. So, however big your ideas, this laptop can handle multitasking and storing different design concepts and software.
This ThinkPad also has a 4K display, so you’ll have a crispy and clear display of designs and projects on the 17.5-inch screen. The P71 is a professional laptop for those that aren’t messing around. If you’re serious about getting the best laptop for interior designing that money can buy, this is it.
- A professional-grade processor makes it the fastest laptop you could hope for
- 4K display
- 17.5-inch display screen
- Included top-of-the-range graphics card
- 64GB Ram AND 4TB SSD
- A secure laptop – all your work and details will be fully protected
- It’s quite pricey
- Compared to most laptops, it’s huge, so not very portable
The Surface Pro has become known as a great laptop for anyone interested in any aspect of design. The touchscreen can be used with the Microsoft pen, which makes it perfect for anyone interested in working with design software.
The Core i7 processor and the 4GHz clock speed means that this laptop is one of the fastest consumer laptops on the market, and with 16GB of RAM and 1TB of storage, you’ll have plenty of memory and storage.
The impressive battery life of the Surface Pro also means it’s great for working away from home, as you’ll be able to work for hours on end without needing a charge.
- 2-in-1 laptop and tablet design
- Can be paired with the Microsoft pen for design work
- Superfast processor and clock speed
- Longer than average battery life
- Intel HD Graphics 4000
- The top-spec models are quite expensive
The MacBook Pro is Apple’s laptop for digital professionals. The 32GB RAM is designed to facilitate multiple professional apps, and the touch bar makes it easier than ever to navigate between different apps in only seconds.
There are two options of size, 13″ or 15″ but both have great specs. The smaller laptop has a fast Intel Core i7 processor, but the bigger laptop has an impressive i9 processor with turbo speeds of up to 4.8GHz.
This means you can create 3D graphics in real-time, and even run several professional design apps, without seeing any drop in your laptop’s speed. Both sizes also come with a built-in graphics card. The 13″ laptop is fully equipped with an Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 or 655, while the 15″ laptop comes with an even more impressive built-in Radeon Pro Discrete GPU graphics card, with 4GB of GDDR5 memory.
- Full HD retina display
- Choice of i7 or i9 Processor – both high-speed
- Built-in graphics card
- Touch bar makes navigation between apps easier
- A little pricey
- It’s quite delicate – a side effect of the sleek design
The screen of this laptop is what draws most people in. The 15.6-inch screen goes almost right to the edge of the laptop, which gives it a cinematic feel. And with a 4K display, the resolution doesn’t disappoint.
The i7 Processor combined with the NVIDIA Quadro M1000M 2GB graphics card makes this a great laptop for interior designers. It’s fast, it can handle a bit of multitasking, and there’s plenty of storage for you to save designs (512 GB SSD).
- Perfect screen size
- 4K screen display resolution
- Fast I7 Processor
- NVIDIA QUADRO M1000M graphics card
- Heavy design means it’s not very portable
This is a great option for those looking for a budget laptop that can support design work. While it only has an Intel Core i5 processor, it’s not too much slower than i7 laptops, and it makes up for it on the storage front. This Asus has only 8GB of RAM, but 1TB of storage. The screen is also a good size and is full HD. It also has basic Intel HD graphics.
- A budget-friendly laptop that’s still suitable for working professionals
- Good screen size (14″)
- 1TB of storage
- Not as fast as laptops with i7 processors
- It only has basic Intel HD graphics
- Only 8GB of RAM
This is another budget-friendly interior design laptop, but for just a small amount more than the Asus above, you get a whole lot more for your money. It’s called a convertible laptop because the screen can bend back if you need it to. This is great for presenting or reviewing ideas – those times when you don’t need the keyboard.
The 15.6 inches full HD display is also great for viewing and creating designs, and it’s even touch screen, which can make designing much easier, especially if you plan on using a compatible pen or stylus.
What makes this laptop the best budget option, though, is the graphics card that comes with it. The NVIDIA GeForce 940MX has 2GB of dedicated GDDRS VRAM.
- I7 Core Processor means this laptop is super fast, with a great clock speed
- The large screen size makes designing easier
- The convertible screen gives you flexible working angles
- It’s also a touchscreen
- It has a great graphics card (NVIDEO GeForce 940MX 2GB)
- The impressive color range for a laptop in this price bracket
- It’s one of the most affordable laptops for interior designers
- The display isn’t anti-glare, so the screen is quite reflective in bright environments and outdoors
- It’s not as fast as it’s more expensive competitors
This Asus Zenbook has the latest i7 processor, and an NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti 4GB, so you can expect fast performance all round.
In this model, Asus has managed to include a good size screen (15.6 inches) without making the laptop overly burdensome, so if you want to take your work out and about with you, you’re not going to struggle to carry this laptop around.
The screen is full HD and also touch screen, so you can mix up the way you work on your designs. There’s also an ASUS pen you can buy to accompany this model so that you can use this laptop like a graphics tablet.
- Latest i7 Processor and impressive graphics card means fast performance all round
- The full HD 15.6-inch screen
- The touch screen feature can also be used with an ASUS pen
- Self-cooling technology, so there’s no risk of your laptop overheating
- Above-average battery life (14 hours)
- Quick charge – up to 60% in under 50 minutes
- There are ports for both USB-C Thunderbolt 3 and USB-A types
- No full-size SD card reader
- Battery life is shortened when running several apps