If your baby requires formula, it’s essential to choose the one with similar properties to breast milk as possible. The formula closest to breast milk is both from a taste perspective and a nutritional one. Fortunately, there are many options to choose from when you need a formula closest to breast milk.
Why Do You Need A Baby Formula Like Breast Milk?
Not all babies can be breastfed, especially all the time.
Most doctors recommend babies are breastfed for at least two months before they move on to feeding on baby formula. Doctors also recommend moms to breastfeed their babies for six months where possible. But for many parents, they don’t have a choice and need to find a suitable baby formula.
Once a baby has become familiar with the taste of breastmilk, transitioning to eating something else goes a lot smoother when the formula taste is similar to breastmilk.
What Is Baby Formula?
Baby formula an especially developed baby food, also called formula milk, is made to feed babies through the first 12 months of their life.
It can be in liquid form ready to go, or in powder form, which requires little preparation.
This food can either be bottle or cup-fed. Newborns will need to be bottle-fed formula initially.
Our Top 5 Picks
Ten Formulas Closest To Breast Milk In 2021
There is a lot of choices available for baby formulas, which may leave you struggling to choose the best one. Formulas come in all types, flavors, styles, and sizes.
Some are cow milk-based, some soy-based, and some contain iron and fatty acids. Some formulas have been developed for babies with lactose intolerance. It seems there is a formula for every baby.
To make your search easier, here are the ten best baby formula closest to breast milk. These reviews are based on thousands of reviews that we have thoroughly researched for you.
NOTE: AMAZON MAY BE OUT OF STOCK ON SOME ITEMS CURRENTLY DUE TO COVID-19
Most of us would prefer a formula that is not only non-GMO but one that has been made with a blend of high-quality nutrients. Nutrients should include protein, minerals, vitamins, carbohydrates, and most importantly, the essential fatty acids like Omega 3 and Omega 6, making it a perfect contender for being the best infant formula available online. All these nutrients are essential for the growth of your baby.
The search for the perfect alternative food for your baby can be hard, but when you find the Earth’s Best Organic Infant Formula, the search stops. This is simply the best in the market, and as you can see, from thousands of reviews, you will see that it has a high reputation. All these features make it one of the best contenders for being the formula closest to breast milk.
Pros Of Earths Best
- Easy to digest in the baby’s first year
- Nutrients like Omega 3 and 6 for brain development
- It has Lutein for eye development
- Free from artificial fertilizers and pesticides
- No corn syrup additives
- Organic-certified by USDA
Cons Of Earths Best
- Some babies may dislike the taste
Enfamil PREMIUM infant formula has been on the market for a long time. They deployed intensive research into what a baby’s formula should look like. This powder formula contains DHA, a fatty acid that is considered important for brain development in infants. So, it can be a perfect option when you are looking for the formula closest to breastmilk. Many mothers consider it as the best baby formula, as it is highly recommended by doctors.
Pros Of Enfamil PREMIUM
- Has prebiotics to feed the good bacteria in the gut
- Great for brain development
- Newborns find it tasty
- Natural ingredients/not genetically engineered
- More than 30 ingredients to spur growth
- Improves baby’s learning ability
- Very convenient and easy to use
Cons Of Enfamil PREMIUM
- Lacks cholesterol that is present in breast milk
- It’s costly
When choosing a formula for your baby, three things are foremost on your mind. One, you must be assured that the bay is getting all the nutrients that they get from breast milk. Two, you want to be assured that it will enhance brain development, and three, you want a formula that is easy and convenient to use.
Luckily, the Enfamil Nutramigen Infant Formula meets all those credentials and comes with many more benefits. It is useful and a go-to kind of formula as it is sold ready to use. You will see the kind of potency it packs when your baby grows robust, energetic, and beautiful.
Pros Of The Enfamil Nutramigen
- Manages cow milk-induced colic in as little as 48 hours
- Assists the baby to start drinking milk without lactose issues
- Its proteins are broken down for easier digestion
- Meets all the nutritional needs of your baby
- Comes ready to use for the on-the-rush mom
- It is recommended for babies allergic to cows milk
- Supports eye and brain development
- Comes in a fluid form ready for consumption
Cons Of The Enfamil Nutramigen
- It is expensive
- Smell and taste can take time to get used to
One of the most outstanding characteristics of the Similac Pro-Advance infant formula is that it contains a particular immune booster found in breast milk. This is the HMO – Human Milk Oligosaccharide. It is only available in this formula.
Keep your baby nourished all the time. This formula can be fed to babies from birth to 12 months or more. It also widely used for feeding babies in hospitals, and one pack has 48 bottles of 2 ounces each, coming ready to feed.
Pros Of The Similac
- It is not genetically engineered
- Has HMO to boosts the immune system
- Has vitamin E for cell development, Lutein for eyes, DHA for brain
- Made with non-fat milk
- Comes ready to use – just shake and feed
- A great formula for traveling
Cons Of The Similac
- It is costly
- Comes with just one nipple
As you can see from its name, this is a formula manufactured for newborns and can be used through the first three months. It contains all the ingredients necessary for a baby’s body and brain development at this early stage.
By the time baby is three months old, there will be no difference between him/her and breastfed babies. It contains inositol, which is for brain nourishment, and it has nutrients that are good for the immune system and other body developments. It is easy to use, very convenient for a mom on the run.
Pros Of Enfamil Newborn PREMIUM
- This is not genetically engineered
- 30 nutrients that enhance growth and development
- Liquid form, ready to use, no preparation needed
- The protein used is easy to digest
- Does not cause constipation
- Keeps for a long time – check the expiry date
- Most babies love the taste
Cons Of Enfamil Newborn PREMIUM
- Some babies experience gas
- The baby may take time to get used to it
Gerber Good Start Infant Formula is made for moms who do not want to go through the fuss of taking their babies through different formulas in the search for “The One.”
It works wonderfully with newborn babies, and it has many of the characteristics of breast milk. When can you try this baby formula? When you do not want to breastfeed your baby, when you have to travel and when you have to be away at work for some time. Many moms fall into any one of these categories meaning that any mom can use this formula.
What is in the Gerber Good Start Soothe powder infant formula? The Probiotic L. reuteri is present. It reduces colic. Has DHA and Lutein, which help in brain and eye development, respectively. It is a 30% lactose blend, which eliminates gas issues in babies.
Pros Of The Gerber
- Easy to digest
- Very close to breast milk
- Many nutrients for growth and development
- Good for newborn babies
- Relieves colic in many babies
- No genetically engineered ingredients
- It is easy to prepare
Cons Of The Gerber
- Not all babies will get colic relief
- Some babies don’t like the taste
Looking for a good formula for your baby in their first year can be hard. However, with the full organic LactoRelief toddler formula, your search stops right here. You can even continue feeding your baby this formula even after one year.
Unfortunately, many babies suffer from colic in their infancy period, a very disconcerting issue that can keep mom (and everyone else) awake through the night. Usually, this is caused by gas and bloating. This lactose-free Baby’s Only Organic Formula relieves gas issues in babies. Remember, gas can come from breast milk, too, depending on what mom has eaten recently.
This formula is rich in Vitamin A, D, E, and K. It also has the main minerals like calcium, magnesium, and phosphorous. Then there is iron, zinc, and of course, carbohydrates, proteins, and fatty acids. It has DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) for brain development, ARA (arachidonic acid) for eye development, and it one of the few formulas without lactose in the market.
Pros Of The Baby’s Only
- Relief from lactose issues like gas, bloating, and cramps
- It’s organic
- No hexane used in the extraction of DHA
- No palm olein oil which causes weak bones
- Enhances brain development
- Can relieve gas issues in babies
- Non-GMO and lactose-free
Cons Of The Baby’s Only
- It is expensive
When your newborn baby needs to have other food apart from breast milk, you want to make sure that it is as close to breast milk as possible. Today, thanks to the advancement in food science and technology, you can feed your baby Gerber Good Start Gentle Non-GMO formula from birth to 12 months.
As a result of Gerber’s research, this formula is made to resemble breast milk in almost every way, even in the nutritional content. The proteins used in the formula are broken down into stages where they can be easily digested by the baby. This formula is very comfortable for the baby’s tummy, and that means there will be peace at home as the baby will not suffer from gas and bloating.
Pros Of The Gerber Good Start
- Gentle on the baby’s tummy
- No genetically modified ingredients
- Not gassy
- Special sachet for the scooper after using it
- Prebiotics and probiotics to help with digestion
- Has DHA for brain development
- Good support from Gerber
Cons Of The Gerber Good Start
- It can be hard to dissolve in water
- Some babies dislike the taste
Enfamil Enspire Infant Formula powder is another great choice in the search for the best-tasting baby formula. This formula has lactoferrin, which is found in mom’s first milk – colostrum. Lactoferrin boosts the immune system, and it also contains MFGM, which enhances mental growth. With a strong blend of prebiotics to feed the good bacteria in the baby’s gut, issues like gas and bloating will be forgotten.
Pros Of The Enfamil Inspire
- Contains lactoferrin
- Great for the digestive health of the baby
- Has MFGM for cognitive development
- Easy to make, comes with all instructions
- Baby does not spit
- The tub is reusable
- Can store extra formula in the fridge
- Brain nourishment
Cons Of The Enfamil Inspire
- This formula is expensive
- Might not be great for all babies
This product has been made by people who respect the fact that breast milk is the best first food for the baby. As a parent, you know that it is not always plausible to breastfeed.
Even if you are willing, but you could run out of milk supply, or due to medication, you could be restricted from breastfeeding. So when you find that you need a formula for your baby, you can choose one that is made closest to breast milk in every respect.
Nature’s First Baby’s Only Organic Dairy Formula meets all these criteria. Unlike other formula manufacturers who use DHA from seaweed, Baby’s Only uses DHA from egg yolks. Because of this nutritional value, we believe this formula is closest to breast milk in taste and nutrition.
Pros Of This Organic Formula
- Has DHA and ARA for brain and eye development
- It is organic
- DHA used in this formula is from egg yolks
- Made with dried, zero-fat cows milk
- Contains many nutrients
- Packed in smaller cans good for supplementing breast milk
- No preparation needed
Cons Of This Organic Formula
- The manufacturer does not recommend it for newborns.
- Can cause constipation in some babies
Further Baby Related Reviews:
When you're looking for the perfect set of monitors for music production, there are many factors you need to consider for the best purchase. There is a growing space for niche sets of monitors to...
Many professionals are letting go of traditional desktops and laptops for the best tablet for working from home. Making use of a tablet for working from home has lots of perks. Tablets are...