There are tons of laptops in the gadget market. However, many of the best laptops often come as products of high-profile companies, including HP, Acer, and Apple. And while it is clear that you can get quality laptops from these companies, you may still have to check out many of their laptop models before discovering the best laptops for writers.
We all have different reasons for buying laptops. Causes can range from varying budgets to preferences. However, you must consider certain things if you purchase a computer, mainly for writing. So let’s review the best laptops for writers, authors, and journalists.
What Makes a Laptop Perfect for Writing?
As a professional writer, it’s beyond doubt that you need a reliable laptop. And it would help if you considered what you need in a computer to produce great content quickly. Adequate speed, reliable battery, user-oriented keyboard, and satisfactory overall performance – you need all of these when choosing a suitable laptop.
Deciding upon the best laptop for writers, you may want to go for the most affordable option, especially if you’re on a tight budget. Of course, if you can get away with it, then purchase an inexpensive laptop. However, please understand a lesser-priced laptop may still offer all the qualities to meet your writing needs.
We reviewed the 10 Best Laptops for Writers (Authors and Journalists) in 2021. While these laptops are products of reputable brands, including Acer, Microsoft, HP, and Asus, we encourage you to review them carefully to eventually decide which one is best for your liking, budget, and needs.
10 Best Laptops For Writers in 2022 (Authors and Journalists)
Acer Aspire E 15″ Full HD Notebook
Aspire E 15 is an outstanding laptop that offers a comfortable viewing experience courtesy of its 15.6″ Full HD widescreen. In addition, the laptop boasts good battery life –up to 12 hours –and further crams a massive 256GB storage memory.
Interestingly, it’s compatible with the Acer Color Blast technology. Considering its ample 8GB DDR4 memory, it can deliver the excellent performance that authors, writers, and other users can expect of it.
This laptop features a 7th-generation Intel Core processor operating at 3.1GHz and delivering an effective processing rate as part of its key specifications. In addition, for a magnificent browsing experience, it packs an 802.11ac wireless connectivity paired with the latest MU MIMO technology.
All these features make it one of the best laptops for writers available right now.
Pros Of The Acer Aspire E15
- Excellent battery life –up to 12 hours of normal usage
- It comes with Turbo technology for boosting its processor rate
- Offers Full HD and comfortable viewing experience
- Built with a high-quality sound system
- It comes with a quality keyboard
- Boots up quickly
- Has MU-MIMO technology that improves Wi-Fi performance
Cons Of The Acer Aspire E15
- No external power button
- The touchpad is extremely sensitive
- Viewing angles on the screen are a little bit poor for specific colors
Acer Swift 3 Thin & Light Laptop
The Acer Swift 3 laptop is one of the lovely products from Acer, with spectacular specifications and excellent performance. In addition, this one is slim and lightweight, making it a perfect laptop for writers who tend to bring their work anywhere.
This laptop can last up to 12.5 hours from a full charge which can serve authors and writers for reasonable hours daily.
This gadget features a 14″ Full HD LED-backlit widescreen. This gadget is an excellent laptop with an AMD Ryzen 7 5700U octa-core processor operating with Radeon Graphics. Also, it offers outstanding efficiency through its 8GB LPDDR4X onboard memory and 512GB NVMe solid-state drive storage, and its OS of Windows 10.
Another feature we love about this is the Windows Hello with Fingerprint Reader. It features a biometric fingerprint reader and Windows Hello sign-in options to help keep your Acer PC secure! Overall, this is another fantastic option for finding the best laptops for writers.
Pros Of The Acer Swift 3 Thin & Light Laptop
- It offers great battery life
- Its LED-backlit doesn’t consume much energy
- Features high definition audio support
- Easy for novices to upgrade
- Delivers great speed
Cons Of The Acer Swift 3 Thin & Light Laptop
- The integrated graphics card reduces gaming possibilities
- According to a user, the battery can be pretty tricky to remove
Apple 13.3″ MacBook Air
This MacBook is one of Apple’s great products. It features excellent Wi-Fi performance coupled with considerable battery life –the battery sustains users for up to 12 hours of normal usage.
Packed with faster SSD storage, this device would be a suitable laptop for journalists and writers to make their official tasks more convenient. Moreover, considering its slim body –measuring only 2.96 pounds in weight –this laptop would be very suitable for use while on the go.
Besides its advanced wireless type of 802.11ac –rated far greater than the previous Wi-Fi generation –Apple 13.3″ comes with 5th-generation Intel Core processors that ensure swift processing of tasks. These features make it a fantastic choice among all these best laptops for writers.
Pros Of The MacBook Air
- It comes with efficient SSD storage
- Produces faster wireless performance
- It offers amazing 12 hours of battery life
- Ultra-slim for convenient carriage purposes
- Allows for easy access and smooth operation
- The keyboard is well lit for convenient use at night or in dark places
Cons Of The MacBook Air
- Some customers have complained about the screen
- No CD drive is included
- Using the pad can be a little bit awkward, according to a user
Microsoft Surface Book 13.5-Inch Multi-Touch Laptop
Coming as one of Microsoft’s incredible products, Microsoft Surface Book is a 2-in-1 Notebook packed with an aspect ratio of 3:2 and a screen resolution of 3000 x 2000 pixels. Alongside its OS of Windows 10 Pro, users of this laptop will enjoy its lovely multi-touch gestures.
All users, including authors and writers, will enjoy this Microsoft Surface Book, conveniently used as a tablet by separating its screen from the dock. With its 6th-generation dual-core processor, the Surface Book delivers a high level of performance.
Weighing just 3.48 pounds and contains a whopping 128GB for storage purposes. If budget is not an issue for you, this might be the best laptop for writers!
Pros Of The Microsoft Surface Book
- Very easy to carry
- Comes with Surface Pen for unique writing experience
- It can be easily used as a tablet
- Provides substantial battery life
- Produces bright viewing experience
- Features easy-to-use multi-touch gestures
Cons Of The Microsoft Surface Book
- It takes a potentially long time to charge fully
- It can be pretty awkward/difficult to open the lid after closing
Microsoft Surface 13.5-Inch laptop
Packed with high-quality features, the Microsoft Surface laptop is lightweight and offers a lovely feel for typing –thanks to its Alcantara fabric-covered keyboard. In addition, it boasts considerable video playback up to 14.5 hours and different sports a 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor.
Also, it packs 256GB of hard drive storage, and courtesy of its fabric-covered keyboard, both journalists and authors, will conveniently enjoy this laptop for typing documents. Moreover, it offers Microsoft-verified apps, and to provide maximum security for files in the cloud, the laptop is equipped with One drive.
Coming with Windows 10 S as its OS, Microsoft Surface can offer the superior level of performance users can expect of it.
Pros Of The Microsoft Surface
- Very slim and easy to carry
- Comes with Surface Dock
- Features a bright touchscreen with an excellent resolution
- Has Alcantara fabric-covered keyboard for a superb typing experience
- Allows for a convenient switch to Windows 10 Pro
Cons Of The Microsoft Surface
- Not possible to return to Windows 10 S after switching to Windows 10 Pro
- SSD seems dull and slow in 256GB variants
Acer Aspire E 15″ (T8TJG) Full-HD Laptop
Weighing 4.92 pounds, this Aspire 15.6-inch Full HD is a “high-performance” laptop that features Windows 10 plus a 6-hour average battery life. This has to be one of the best laptops for writers in the market.
Besides its 802.11.ac wireless type, this Laptop packs other excellent specifications, including an 8GB SD RAM and Intel Core i7 processor earmarked at 2.7GHz.
Journalists, writers, and book authors who handle bulky multimedia work would enjoy using this laptop, especially its reliability and superior performance. For the pleasure of entertainment, the laptop comes with two in-built stereo speakers while its HD webcam delivers excellent photography.
Interestingly, the hard drive of this Acer Aspire laptop packs a massive size of 1 TB that enables users to store over 280 000 songs, 600 000 photos, and lots of HD videos.
Pros Of The Acer Aspire E
- Allows for convenient handling of multiple multimedia tasks
- It comes with a 1TB hard drive for storing lots of songs, photos, and HD videos
- It has two in-built stereo speakers for an excellent audio experience
- Battery charges excellently
- Facilitates swift running of games
- Built with excellent, fast, and up-to-date ports
Cons Of The Acer Aspire E
- Battery life is slightly low – only 6 hours of average usage
- Keyboard has no light
ASUS ZenBook FHD 13.3-Inch Laptop
Considered one of the best laptops out there, this Asus ZenBook features a 1.2MP HD camera and super-fast Wi-Fi type of 802.11ac. Moreover, for delivering precise and excellent graphics, the laptop comes with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 on 13.3-inch IPS multi-touch display.
ASUS ZenBook performs excellently courtesy of its 6th-generation Intel Core operating at 2.3GHz –and up to 2.8GHz for Turbo. As a result, writers and authors who want great presentations for their works will succeed with this laptop not only for its high-level performance but also for its massive 256GB of SSD storage.
More interestingly, it offers users an excellent and intuitive touch experience. Powerfully built with Windows 10, it is backed with a one-year validity period for each ADP (Accidental Damage Protection) and warranty.
If you are looking to use your laptop for drawing purposes, you can check out the best laptop for drawing.
Pros Of The ASUS ZenBook
- Boots up quickly
- Built with a responsive and excellent touchscreen
- It comes with a one-year ADP and a one-year warranty
- Delivers visuals with exceptional clarity
- Lets users add a second SSD
- Features Turbo technology for boosting processor rate
Cons Of The ASUS ZenBook
- The graphics card might not be the best for some users
- Colour quality might not be the best; some users claim yellow and green almost look alike
HP Pavilion FHD 15.6-Inch Laptop
This HP Pavilion is one of the lovely laptops with 1TB of storage memory. Packed with the wireless type of 802.11ac, it delivers excellent performance through its 7th-generation Intel Core 2.7GHz processor –with Turbo operating at 3.5GHz.
With a resolution of 1920 x 1080, the non-touch-screen of this laptop offers Full HD IPS and vibrant graphics for images. Writers and authors of all sorts will likely enjoy using the laptop for their daily typing and storing files.
Furthermore, this laptop beast is compatible with Windows 10, and in weight, it measures 4.21 pounds. Notably, there is a whopping 12GB SD RAM which adds to the product’s elegance.
Pros Of The Pavilion
- Features Turbo technology for boosting processor rate
- It comes with whopping RAM storage of 12GB
- It has a capacitive hard drive of 1TB
- Offers top-quality features and delivers superb performance
- Built with a wide-angle HD camera
Cons Of The Pavilion
- Updates take time to load
- Some issues loading a wireless mouse quickly
HP Notebook 15.6″ laptop
This laptop features an antiglare WLED backlit integrated with a 15.6-inch diagonal FHD screen measuring 1920 x 1080 pixel resolution. For users, including authors, journalists, and writers, to have the best of experience and get things done excellently, the laptop features Windows 10.
As part of its key features, this HP Notebook packs an 8GB of SDRAM and features a 6th-generation Intel Core processor pegged at 2.3GHz and stretching up to 2.8GHz for Turbo. Interestingly, it also gives an avenue for a super-impressive storage capacity courtesy of its 1TB hard drive.
It weighs up to 4.73 pounds and offers 7hours, 15 minutes of battery life. Quite frankly, this is manageable for journalists and writers to execute a considerable amount of their official daily tasks without charging the laptop frequently.
If you are also a gamer, you can choose from these best gaming laptops for under $600.
Pros Of The HP Notebook
- It comes with Turbo boosting technology
- Designed with antiglare WLED backlit
- Boasts a reliable level of performance
- Produces quality graphics and amazing display
- Packs 1TB of hard drive storage
Cons Of The HP Notebook
- Gamers miss out as this misses new heavy-featured games
- It has a slightly stiff touchpad, according to some users
HP Envy Notebook 13″ 13.3-Inch laptop
Considered one of HP’s spectacular products, this laptop is a 13.3-inch Notebook with a lightweight body weighing up to 3.31 pounds. Packed with a Lithium-ion battery that offers 14 hours of average usage, the HP Envy features the new Windows 10 and 256GB of hard drive storage.
Notably faster than an ordinary notebook – its hard drive performs 17 times faster than a regular laptop. This kind of speed is essential in the best laptops for writers.
Therefore, it will serve writers and journalists for long hours without needing to recharge the battery often. Still, it will also deliver spectacular performance through its 8GB DDR3 RAM and its 7th-generation Intel processor pegged at 2.5GHz.
Pros Of The HP Envy
- Produces great audio quality
- Fast performance from the hard drive
- Boasts superb battery life estimated around 14 hours of average usage
- Allows for efficient and convenient multi-tasking
- It comes with an excellent backlit keyboard
Cons Of The HP Envy
- Build quality is not really up to par
- According to a user, the poor trackpad, with it being relatively tiny, doesn’t allow for smooth tracking.
Every season of every year is great for camping enthusiasts. There is no better way to enjoy your rendezvous with nature on the beach, alpine lake, or elsewhere than with a pop-up tent. Setting up is...