It’s great to be working from home, you get to save on commuting time, you’re not stressing about having to share an office, the list goes on. It’s true that are so many benefits to working from home, but you probably won’t have had an ergonomic assessment like at work. Your chair might not be one of the best home office chairs for you.
Working long stretches in bad office chairs will put a strain on your back, neck, and shoulders. Chances are you are not sitting up straight enough, and the longer you stay put in that chair, the more likely that you will develop lower back pain. That’s why it’s important to have a home office chair that supports your back, and is ergonomically suitable to support your posture – the right way.
What Features Are Important In A Home Office Chair?
Material: A good chair is made of a durable fabric, and allows air to flow through it. Many of the chairs we review are constructed using a mesh which is a very breathable and durable fabric.
Armrests: Armrests tend to be a personal preference rather than an ergonomic or functional requirement. Not having armrests tends to make a home office chair easier to get in and out of. Often armrests are provided but you can choose not to use them.
Adjustable seat height: We are all different sizes, so a good home office chair needs to be easily adjusted to the right height for you. Good seat height is where you can place your feet on the floor, and have your thighs parallel with the floor.
Adjustable back: If you lean back to do all your best work (thinking), then you will need an adjustable back. Some people prefer not to be able to have the chair go back, so again this is purely a preference rather than a must-have feature.
Weight restrictions: Depending on your weight, check what the maximum weight size the chair was designed for. Then think about who else in the house might also sit in it.
Overall size: You may want to be able to easily hide the chair when not in use. We have included a couple of ergonomic kneeling chairs, which keep your back naturally straight.
Whether you are looking for a chair that fits in with your decor or one that has or does not have armrests, we have reviewed a selection for you.
We know cost is important too, and have kept this review to chairs typically under $100. It does pay to check the price on Amazon as we have seen some great discounts on offer.
We’ve been talking to our back care specialists, and have been pouring over hundreds of chair reviews on Amazon. It’s taken hours, but it’s so well worth it.
Let’s take a look at what we found for the best chairs for home.
The Top 10 Best Home Office Chairs For 2020
This office chair is well designed with human-oriented ergonomic construction that lasts long and thickly cushioned for maximum comfort. This office desk mesh computer chair has thousands of reviewers giving it 4.4 out of 5-star reviews.
This is an ergonomic desk chair covered by breathable mesh and mid-back lumbar support protecting your back.
- 360-degree swivel with nylon smooth-rolling casters
- Mesh computer chair with mid-back lumbar support
- 150 ml gas lift for easy height change operation
- 16.7 inches W x 21.7 inches d x 35.6 -40.4 inches h seat
- Width: 16.7 inches seat depth: 16.3 inches seat
- Height: 18.3 inch – 23 inches
Back Width: 15.6 inches
- Back Height: 17.7 inches
- Ergonomically designed and well-cushioned
- Great stability and mobility
- Easy to assemble in about 10 – 15 minutes
- The back is locked in place
An executive chair upholstered for comfort in a black leather and Pewter finish. This is a great choice for the best home office chair. Featuring a well-padded seat and back for all-day comfort and providing ergonomic support. This chair has received over 8,000 reviews, making it one of the most popular executive chairs on the market.
- 29.13 x 25.59 x 41.34-45.08 inches (LxWxH)
- Maximum weight capacity of 275 pounds
- 360-degree swivel with smooth-rolling casters
- Well padded for all-day comfort
- BIFMA certified
- Pneumatic seat height adjustment;
- Is on the expensive side
- The armrests are bolted to the seat and back, and can’t be adjusted.
This mesh office or computer chair is built for long-lasting comfort. And easily adjusted for height, the locking mechanism keeps the back upright. This can relieve the stress and pain brought on by other office chairs. Designed with ergonomics in mind, you have full mobility whether you’re working at home, working on the computer, or meeting in the office.
- Seat height ranges from 17.7″- 21.7″
- BIFIMA quality certified
- Choice of eight different colors
- Maximum capacity up to 250 lbs
- Easy to assemble. All the tools you need to complete the assembly are provided
- Comes with 90-days warranty, and a 100% satisfaction guarantee
- May not be suitable for very tall people
Another ergonomic office chair with lumbar support mesh back for breathability. It has a thick padded seat which provides extra comfort for daily use. With a maximum capacity up to 265 lbs, this carries more weight than most other home office chairs we have reviewed. The wing-type back is well constructed this chair offers excellent value for money.
- 360-degree swivel wheels
- Bifima certification
- Maximum capacity of up to 265 lbs.
- 23.2 x 11 x 22.8 inches (H:W:D)
- Received lots of comments about quality construction and comfort
- The armrests can be left off
- This chair does not recline
Sleek design and simple adjustment mid-back desk chair. Ergonomic backrest fits the natural curve of the lower back which can help reduce lower back pain. Having arms that flip up, you can raise the arms to push the chair under a desk. This chair is designed to be flexible, supportive, and breathable. There are comments like “I’m in love with this chair” which are pretty rare to find.
- High density mesh back
- Pneumatic height adjustable from 17.7″ -o 21.2″
- The chair has a 120° tilt tension
- Weight capacity: 250lb.
- Chair height: 35.8″ – 39.4″
- Seat cushion: 19.7″ * 19.7″ * 3.15″
- Arm length: 11″
- Backrest: 17″ * 18.5″
- You can flip the arms up and put the chair under the desk for saving space
- None that we saw
With 3 color choices, this ergonomic stool emulates the natural shape of the spine to increase comfort and productivity. Great reviews were received from one lady recovering from back surgery to a tattoo artist who found this the most comfortable chair yet. So while this is described as a medical stool it is suitable for a wide range of home offices.
This is a great choice of chair, especially when you are sitting for most of the day. If you are looking for the best home office chair for lower back pain, this could well be your chair.
This chair is available with back cushion (B245) or without back cushion (B240)
- The weight capacity is 250 lbs.
- Constructed of Caressoft vinyl
- Height: 33.5 inches
- Width: 24 inches
- Depth: 24 inches
- Seat height: 20.5 – 26.5 inches
- The seat width: 16 inches
- Seat depth: 16 inches
- Well designed for lower back-pain care
- The seatback can be purchased separately
- Nothing to report here
Simply elegant with a retro style. This chair works well with both modern and contemporary home styling. Lumbar support: Comfortable sitting experience, firm and well seat and back cushion, the back area is large enough. This chair has lots of rave reviews, with comments complementing the design, quality, and comfort.
- Holds over 250lbs
- Has a 360-degree swivel
- 20.86 x 23.22 x 33.46 inches
- Very stylish, not like other home office chairs at all
- Good lumbar support and back cushioning
- A lady’s chair (which may not be a bad thing!)
- Some comments about construction being weak
A comfortable executive chair with commercial-grade components, which supports up to 500lbs. Big and tall office chair executive chair desk chair.
This chair is designed for those who consider themselves big and tall, and the manufacturers say it was designed to relieve back and leg pain from sitting in a chair all day.
These home and office chairs have excellent breathable PU leather design and can maintain good airflow through them. This chair received an excellent review from a man who is 6′ 4″.
- Designed for up to 500 lb
- Made with soft PU leather upholstery
- 360-degree swivel and nylon smooth-rolling casters
- 46.3 x 28.3 x 31.5 inches
- Designed for weights up to 500 lbs
- Made of commercial-grade components, this chair is made to last
- The armrests are not optional
- Some people found it difficult to assemble
A comfortable computer chair comes with a molded seat and solid sponge padding. The backrest offers you good back support and reduces pains resulted from long time seating. A hard steel gas lift in the middle provides you with safe and extra strong support. The whole piece is well constructed to last for years and won’t topple under a weight capacity of up to 264.6lb.
An SGS-certified gas lift ensures your adjustment safety. Ideal for usage scenarios where children are all around. This versatile stool will function well at your kitchen island, bar counter, and reception table. A great choice of chair for the home office.
There were some issues reported with the quality of the casters, however, the manufacturers have now sourced better quality casters to resolve this issue.
- Weight capacity up to 264.6lb.
- 360-degree swivel
- 5 noise-canceling multidirectional wheels
- Seat: Width:17.3”; Depth:17.3”
- Back: Width: 16.5”; Height:15.7”
- Overall dimensions: 23 x 21.7 x (34.9-40.6) inch (L x W x H)
- Seat height from 19.3″ – 25″
- Well padded
- The gas lift is SGS certified for safety
- The armrests are not adjustable
This is one of Amazons best sellers. A comfortable office chair with contoured mesh back for breathability. Pneumatic seat-height adjustment & padded for comfort. Black mesh covers the padded chair seat & back of the chair. Black, nylon, T-shaped armrests offer added support and comfort. This is one of the cheaper seats out there. for those on a budget.
- 225-pound maximum weight capacity
- Dual-wheel casters; user manual with assembly instructions included
- BIFMA Certified
- Chair Dimensions: 25.2 x 24 x 35.6-40.3 inches (DxWxH)
- Assembled seat height: 22 inches
- Has a pneumatic seat-height adjustment
- A comfortable practical home office chair
- The armrests are removable
- Is not as sturdy as some we have reviewed
- The armrests are uncomfortable being made of hard plastic.
So with many choices available, this review should have helped you select the best home office chairs now. Pay special attention to the choice of a chair if you have lower back pain, or will be in the chair for the whole day. From the reviews we have observed, the amount of padding on a chair can make a big difference in the level of comfort you get from a home office chair.