Spice turns bland food into an explosive universe of flavor for our taste buds. In fact, spice alone can turn a downright unremarkable meal into a dinner fit enough for the king’s table. However, not all spice is good. If it is processed and store-bought, it most certainly contains preservative chemicals, which is why you want to make your spices at home. If you are willing to part with some money, you could be on your way to becoming the best home cook in the neighborhood. Home ground spice can never be compared to the store-bought variety and only your palates can tell the difference. For the best home cooked meals, you will need the best spice grinders in the market.
There are so many of these and since they all claim to be the best, it may be a bit daunting to get the best one. To help you get the real value for your money, here are reviews of the ten of the best spice grinders. Do not buy blindly, choose what comes highly recommended, and you will never regret it. Fortunately, many of the coffee grinders are perfect for spice grinding and some spice grinders are good for coffee grining. That’s why we have made a combined list of best coffee and spice grinders available in the market.
Krups F203 is made for people who love to drink coffee and eat spicy food, and these two go together very well. This grinder is a workhorse, what with its 200-Watt power input as well as a stainless steel blade that grinds the coffee nuts and the spices evenly, giving you a final product that has fine texture. The grinder is lid-activated. This means that unless the lid is locked up properly, then the grinder will not work at all. This is perhaps the best spill-free feature that you can ever find in the market.
You will also love the handsome aggressive look of this grinder. It also has a big capacity, three ounces which is enough to grind coffee that can serve twelve people.
Because it is a coffee and a spice grinder, this means you do not have to buy another grinder. However, note that it retains some coffee inside and therefore you have to clean it thoroughly to ensure that coffee and spice aromas do not spoil the party for you.
- Enough grinding capacity to serve many people
- Gives even grinding for coffee and spices
- It is very powerful – 200 Watt for the motor
- Safety is ensured since it only works when lid is locked into place
- Takes a few seconds to grind 3 ounces of coffee beans
- Sold with a warranty of 2 years
- It is a good looker, quite handsome
- It can be a bit noisy
- Blade is set too high and the grinding may not be as fine as you would like
Reviews show this to be the largest herb grinder available in the market. From the onset, you will see that it is big and the big clear chamber houses the herbs so you can see how the grinding is going on. It is made to grind herbs such as oregano, basil, and others. It can hold up to six spoonfuls of herb and that is a lot of herb.
If you are traveling, you can just remove the clear part so that you can have three small parts, to make a pocket grinder. This is a good thing and you will love the Zip Grinders for that.
Another important feature is the 49 teeth that are diamond-shaped that will sure grind anything that you put them to. Because of the ability to grind stuff into fine particles, a mesh screen has been provided and it can catch particles that are as small as 100-micron size.
Finally, it is able to grind almost any herb that you put to it. For example, you can use it to grind tobacco and all the other cooking herbs. Some people say they use it to grind weed, so you can see that it can be put to many grinding uses.
It is sold with a money back guarantee just in case you find you do not like it.
- Used on all types of herbs
- Easy to use
- Sold with money back guarantee
- Clear top so you can see what is happening inside
- Can be used as a travel grinder
- Made with high-quality aluminum – same as what is used in aerospace industry
- It is big, can hold six spoonfuls of herb
- Has a pollen catcher screen
- Squeaking sounds when grinding
- Some people say it cannot handle dense herbs
This is one of the best coffee and spice grinders in the market. It is built to last a long time. We say this because when some of the parts wear out, you can buy replacement parts and give your grinder a new leash of life.
It is made of cast stainless steel. This means it is not going to rust and it is scratch resistant. You can use it for many years and it will give you a great service all the time. Powered by a 120-Watt motor, this grinder perfectly grinds your coffee beans and the spices that you love to cook with. You will be happy to know that irrespective of the number of years in which you have used the grinder, once you give it a thorough washing, it will look as good as new.
You can use this grinder to chop up other nuts that you need for your cooking. However, note that it is smaller than most and may not hold much capacity. The motor may also overheat, thus requiring you to let it cool down if you have a lot of grinding work to do.
- Very versatile – used to chop nuts and grind coffee
- Can be used to chop vegetables too
- Won’t work until lid is locked into place safely
- In-built overheat protection – will switch off automatically
- Many replaceable parts for more use
- Covered by one year warranty – limited
- Comes with chopper bowl and grinder bowl for respective application
- May grind itself to death if you switch it on without locking the lid
- Will overheat
KitchenAid BCG111OB is made for light kitchen duties and therefore it is not the kind of coffee and spice grinder that you can use for a business. However, it is still very effective. You will find it smart, small and compact and able to fit anywhere on your kitchen counter. Powered by electricity, this small and smart grinder will put to grind anything that you toss in including coffee beans, cinnamon, cardamom and any other spice that you want ground. Use it for grinding sugar, rice and other grains as well. It is perhaps one of the best domestic electrified mortar and pestles in the market today.
- Made of stainless steel
- Has a see-through cover to see inside as you grind
- Easy to clean
- Able to grind coffee beans to make 12 mugs of coffee
- One-year replacement warranty
- Removable grinding bowl for easy emptying and cleaning
- Easy to operate – just push the cover and the grinder starts
- A bit pricey
- Blades are not replaceable
- Power cord not retractable – maybe a nuisance
For domestic grinding needs, they do not come served any better than in this small and compact grinder. It has many incredible features and like its other sister grinders from Secura, it does not disappoint. Mostly, the effectiveness of spice grinders is measured against cinnamon. Many homemakers say that this is the hardest spice to grind.
The exterior is made of stainless steel, and so are the grinding bowls and the spice grinder blades are also made of stainless steel. These parts are scratch resistant, corrosion resistant and they can last a long time.
- Powerful motor that is powered by 120 Volts
- Can grind coffee enough for 12 cups
- Overheat protection ensures damage does not occur
- Cord stays wrapped into base when not in use
- Removable bowl for coffee and vice versa
- Stainless steel blades last a long time
- Manufacturer’s warranty
- Not entirely spill proof as some spice jumps over the lid
- May have to scrape spice out of the bottom
With very many reviews on the online marketplaces, we set out to find whether this electric coffee grinder fits the bill and yes, it does, in many ways too. Firstly, it is electric in nature, meaning that it saves power more than the grinders that use batteries. Now, note that this product is made of a plastic exterior but it does a great job too. For example, the stainless steel blade will do the grinding job very well and anyway, the exterior part is just the housing. This makes it quite lightweight though.
It can grind coffee enough for seven cups of coffee. This makes it much smaller than the Secura coffee grinders, but at the same time, it is cheaper.
- It is easy to clean as it comes apart easily
- Safety lock
- See-through lid for usability
- Versatile use such as grinding coffee beans, grains, nuts, spices and herbs
- Has a retractable power cable for safety
- Long lasting stainless steel blades
- It is cheap
- Have to press button long enough to get even grind
- Plastic exterior does not inspire a lot of confidence
- You will have to scrape the coffee from the container
Golden Bell is a new name when it comes to domestic grinders. But it has proved its mettle in the market by selling many of its gadgets fast. You will find the Golden Bell spice herb grinder very useful if you love to make your herbs at home so that they can retain their robust flavor. Basically, this grinder is made of three chambers and in one of the chambers, there is a pollen mesh which collects the finest of the grounds. You can the scrap these with the provided scraper.
It is built with teeth shaped like diamonds. These ensure even grinding of the herbs. Zinc alloy heavy-duty construction and magnetized lid ensures no spillage.
- Comes with lifetime warranty
- An interior ring helps to cut herbs into fine pieces
- It is easy to clean
- Get full money back if you do not like it
- Kief collection is easy with the tools provided
- Power-free – you use the power of your hands to grind herbs
- Fits small and big palms ok
- Small, holds just a small amount of herbs in the chamber
This electric coffee and spice grinder has a 200-Watt motor. It is able to grind coffee beans in less than 60 seconds. It also offers an opportunity to adjust the coarseness of the ground coffee. From fine to evenly ground, there are setting for this. It comes with features that make it the best grinder for coffee, spices, pepper, herbs and even grains faster. You can also use it to grind sugar. Because of the small size, you can use it even in a small town kitchen or pack it in your bag when traveling. The exterior part is made of plastic with the topmost part being transparent. The blade is made of stainless steel.
- Easy to use – just hold the on switch down to grind
- Transparent top to see what you are grinding
- You can adjust course for your coffee
- Stainless steel interior ensures no mixed odors
- Coarse grind takes 40 to 60 seconds
- Can grind different types of products
- Relatively cheap because of plastic exterior
- Hard to clean as blade part is not removable
- Has to be paused if it runs for three minutes
Cuisinart is a trusted name in kitchen items and therefore it is no surprise that their spice and nut grinder makes it to this list. The SG-10 is electric, easy to operate with the push top control and has sharp stainless steel blades that do not spare any spices or nuts that you pass through the grinder. It is small though and can therefore just make a handful of spices from time to time. It is very safe in that it will not start operating until the lid is perfectly in place.
- Built to prevent carryover of previous spice smells to the next
- Good for grinding spices for a small family
- Press and hold on button ensures consistency in grinding
- Cheap to buy
- 200 Watt motor is powerful enough to grind even cinnamon
- Its parts are dish-washable
- Has limited warranty of 18 months
- It has a small capacity
- Removable bowl may fail after a few uses
This is a small, light duty manual grinder and therefore if you are looking for an electric grinder, you had better move on. It has many features that make it last long and produce spice to full capacity. It will snugly fit into your palm. Inside, a long lasting ring makes grinding very easy. You will find that you do not need to apply much force to grind your items.
It has a small capacity though as it can only do a maximum 2 g of spice. However, for a manual grinder, that is quite high.
- It is very affordable
- Has a mesh screen for collecting pollen
- Sold with limited lifetime warranty
- Rugged exterior and interior construction to last a long time
- Easy to grind, just keep grinding until there is no resistance
- Cleans fast and easy in soapy water
- Has small capacity
- Kief harvesting can be poor as holes are big