If you’re new to motovlogging and looking for the best action cameras for motovlogging, you’ll quickly realize that having the right gear is crucial. But with so many options, it can be overwhelming to know which ones to choose. That’s why it’s essential to research what gear will work best for you.
Action cameras are essential equipment for motovloggers, but they can be expensive. So, taking your time and finding the right one is vital. Please don’t just buy the first one you see.
What To Look For In Action Cameras For Motovlogging
Video plays a significant role in your motovlogging, so you’ll need an excellent camera.
You want to avoid the honest rookie mistake of only looking for a device with the highest resolution. Rather than that, pay additional attention to other aspects:
- Field of view – Action cameras usually have a wider area than your typical video recording device. A wide field of view allows you to record what’s in front of you and your sides. This means that the potential viewers can also see what’s happening in the lanes around you while you ride.
- Battery life – More battery equals more time capturing your bike adventures. Some of the best cameras offer about an hour of battery life when capturing 4K footage. Editing your settings and dropping the resolution to 1080p can double your battery life.
- Resolution – 4K video footage became the industry’s standard, so most action cameras offer 4K explanations, recording up to 60 fps. Most of them provide more effective frame rates, up to 240fps, for slow-motion footage. However, high frame rates usually work with lower resolutions, like 1080p.
- Microphone – To get the best possible audio of your commentary, it’s recommended that you use an external microphone. Those can be mounted inside your helmet and usually offer better sound quality because of the lack of wind noise.
The best way to use an external microphone is to connect it to a camera if there’s an external microphone connection. If your camera lacks an external microphone connection, you can use an external audio recorder and sync your audio and video in post-production.
The Importance Of Camera Mounts
- Helmet mounts are by far the most popular. This is because they offer great angles and allow for easy use of an external microphone. However, you can also choose other mounts, some of which mount the camera to your chest or your bike’s handlebar. If you opt for a helmet mount, please research which of the mounting methods is the best and provides better-looking footage.
- Usually, chin mounts are the most popular among motovloggers, as it’s the closest thing to a rider’s point of view. Also, when picking and purchasing a camera, make sure that there is a mount available for the position you want.
Here are the cameras recommended for motovlogging based on the following key attributes:
- Image quality
- Having a wide field of view
- Long battery life
- Quality of the microphone
The Top Action Cameras For Motovlogging
- GoPro HERO6 Black — Waterproof Digital Action Camera
- Can withstand extreme conditions
- Advanced image stabilization
- Relatively short battery life
- Voice controls can be a little unreliable
- GoPro Hero7 Black — Waterproof Action Camera with Touch Screen
- Amazing 4K video and video stabilization
- HyperSmooth is incredibly effective
- UHD in 60fps
- Easy to use
- Can struggle with voice commands
- The external microphone requires an expensive adapter.
- AKASO Brave 4 4K 20MP WiFi Action Camera Ultra HD
- Wifi signal range of up to 10 meters
- Two rechargeable batteries with 90 minutes of recording time
- Remote control wristband
- None to mention
- Sony FDRX3000/W Underwater Camcorder 4K, White
- Excellent image quality
- Great optical image stabilization
- Long battery life
- Slow Live-View Remote Control
- Insta360 GO 2 – Small Action Camera for Travel, Sports, Vlogging
- Has a multi-use charge case
- Extended battery life of 150 minutes
- Comes with tripod
- The app could be better
- Rylo 5.8K 360 Video Camera - (iPhone + Android) - Breakthrough Stabilization
- Includes a 16GB SD Card
- Has horizon leveling technology
- Fluidly smooth video
- Performs best in bright light
- Adostob 4K 30fps Action Camera, 30m/98ft Ultra HD Waterproof Camera
- Wifi capability
- Easily control the camera using your phone
- Multiple recording modes
- Battery life could be better
- DJI Osmo Action 3 Standard Combo, Outdoor Action Camera with 4K HDR & Super-Wide FOV
- Easy Vertical Mounting
- Long Battery Life
- Likelike colors
- Expensive but does have heaps of features
One thing that sets the Hero 6 apart is its easy-to-use touchscreen display, which makes it simple to frame shots and review footage on the go. With voice control, you can take photos or start and stop recording without touching the camera.
Whether out riding at speed or snorkeling in crystal-clear waters, the GoPro Hero 6 is up to the task. With its compact size and versatility, you can take it anywhere and capture all of life's unforgettable moments.
This camera is excellent for traveling as it has a Touch Screen of 4K HD Video and can hold 12MP photos or videos.
Capture smooth footage on the GoPro Hero7 and make your activities into shareable moments with HyperSmooth and TimeWarp features.
Live stream in 720p on social media with the GoPro app, plus be rugged and waterproof to 33 feet without a housing.
Transform your experiences into something you can't capture with your phone.
AKASO Brave 4 action camera has 4K/30fps, 2K/30fps, and 1080P/60FPS video resolution and 20MP photos, allowing you to capture life’s incredible moments.
It also offers an adjustable view angle between 170°, 140°, 110°, and 70° for customized capturing.
Additionally, the built-in smart gyroscope for anti-shaking and image stabilization helps make videos much smoother. WIFI and HDMI ports enable sharing your recordings with friends or connecting with TV for playback.
This video recording device captures beautiful and stable 4K footage, thanks to the Balanced OpticalSteadyShot(BOSS) image stabilization.
The lens and sensor are joined and move together, reducing the effects of internal camera shakes. It's much more helpful than regular optical image stabilization. This, combined with several other features, makes the FDR-X3000 a worthy competitor to the GoPro cameras.
The design of FDR-X3000 remains consistent with Sony's previous action cameras, which have always resembled tiny camcorders. This design makes it ergonomic for hand-holding but also great for side-mounting on your helmet.
Capture crisp and clear full HD footage with the Thumb-sized action camera that weighs just 1 ounce. It features a 1/2.3” image sensor and is waterproof up to 13ft.
The wearable design lets you mount GO 2 hands-free with its included magnetic accessories.
FlowState Stabilization ensures your video stays steady no matter where you mount it - making it perfect for motovlogging.
Get excellent stabilization results with the included breakthrough stabilization and horizon leveling technology.
Insert yourself into the action with a unique picture-in-picture that captures your facial expressions while you capture a moment.
The Rylo comes with sync cables for both iPhone and some Android devices.
With 4K resolution and a 20MP lens, this action camera produces sharp videos and images with anti-shutter mode for a higher quality of view and video, no blur, and restores every moment of your frozen motion scenes.
The camera is enclosed in a 30M/98FT waterproof housing, so you can explore depths of up to 30 meters underwater or use it on rainy and snowy days.
Numerous recording modes like time-lapse, loop recording, slow motion, and auto mode are available, and a 2.4G remote control (maximum distance 1M) for convenient operation when needed.
This 4K HDR Video Action Camera provides brilliant yet lifelike colors and details in a high-contrast environment, with 10-bit color depth for capturing over one billion shades.
Smooth and Level Footage - HorizonSteady technology helps you get even footage from your wildest adventures, be it skiing, skydiving, or biking on bumpy terrain.
Endures the Elements - With a maximum battery life of 160 minutes and the ability to record continuously for up to 150 minutes in temperatures as low as -20°C (-4°F), this action camera is built to last.
What Is The Best Action Camera For Motovlogging?
Well, I would have to say it’s the GoPro Hero 7 Black or the Sony FDRX3000 action camera. These two hold the gold standard for action cameras. If I had to choose one, I’d say it depends on how you will use it.
For example, for long-term, long videos, I would suggest the Sony FDRx3000 because the battery life is better, and it also is MUCH easier to change the batteries. If you want something for shorter duration clips with better stabilization, something like the GoPro Hero 7 Black is the best.
GoPro’s stabilization is undoubtedly the best, but the Sony is a very good option.
Compared to most cases, I find it hard to tell the difference between the GoPro and Sony stabilization. That being said, it’s easy to see that the GoPro digital stabilization is better when walking or running.
The Must-Have MotoVlogging Accessories
Once you start recording, you will soon realize you need more gear to get the recording right. Here are four must-have accessories that will get you sorted.”
When you're looking for the perfect set of monitors for music production, there are many factors you need to consider for the best purchase. There is a growing space for niche sets of monitors to...
Are you on the hunt for the best bicycle for commuting to work? Well, firstly, I applaud you for your decision. Riding a bike to work is a great thing to help the environment. It also allows you...